Sunday, November 26, 2006

I heard several messages on giving thanks this holiday season. One phrase in particular stuck out in my mind.

“Practice Thanks-living,” our preacher said, and followed it with the story of a ten lepers whom Jesus cleansed. Only one came back to say thanks.

It would be so easy to think of all the things that didn’t happen in 2006. I didn’t get to spend Mother’s Day with my husband’s mom who died three years ago of cancer. I didn’t get a fancy dinner for my 19th wedding anniversary because my husband and I went to a basketball game to watch my son play at home in our school’s brand new gym. Thanksgiving, we stayed home because all of our family still lives in Michigan and we live in Texas.

But that’s not what I want to focus on. I want to focus on the good things of 2006. I want to be like that one leper who realized what a precious gift Jesus gave him, and was moved to seek out the One who healed him.

I will always remember 2006 as the year I received my first contract, but really, it was so much more. Our first born son became a senior in high school, and our baby girl became a freshman. Thanksgiving with just the four of us became almost bittersweet as we realized that, perhaps for the last time, we were all together. Instead of mourning my mother-in-law’s passing on Mother’s Day, I celebrated my happy memories of her. And on my anniversary, I gave thanks that my husband sat beside me, loving me, holding my hand as we watched our son play.

I have so much to be thankful for. Whether or not I actually give thanks depends on my perspective, I suppose, and whether or not I’m like the one. . .or the nine.

2 comments :

Southern-fried Fiction said...

I like that - Thanks-living. Thursday night, before falling asleep, I began to thank the Lord for everything I'm truly thankful for. My goodness, it kept me awake for a long time. When you begin to really thank Him, you go on and on and on and ...

We are truly blessed.

Anonymous said...

I like this too, Lisa. Great post.

Newsletter Subscribe

* indicates required
Email Format

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Historical Romantic Suspense

Historical Romance

Popular Posts

Recent Posts